Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My first woodblock print!

Since getting into letterpress, I've wanted to learn other hands-on image-creating techniques that could be combined with letterpress. So this summer I'm taking a woodcut & linoleum class. Below is my first ever woodcut print– it's not perfect but I'm so proud of how it came out. I started with the outline from a public domain engraving and then used my own inclinations to create the textures of each object and add a little more modern personality to the piece. Next project in the works is a 4-color reduction woodblock print using a photograph of a tree that I took during my high school French class' trip to France.

This particular block is too big for my letterpress, but I hope to do smaller woodcut or linoleum series of cards using my letterpress.

Click on the images for more detail...



6 comments:

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

First? Impressive! I'll like to see that 4 color one.

Erika said...

Thanks CicadaStudio, you're too sweet. I think it's just beginners luck. We'll see how the next ones turn out. :-)

Martha Marshall said...

Wow! When I saw your post's title on Blogrush I just had to take a look! This is a very impressive first attempt at a woodcut. And reduction? That's something I've always wanted to try. I'll be very interested in what you do combining that with the letterpress. (Haven't done printmaking for years, but still love it.)

John Dyhouse said...

Hey this is great. I would love to have a go at this. - John

Erika said...

Thanks everyone! I'm still working on my reduction, one day a week – so maybe in a few months I'll have something to show. :-)

Anonymous said...

If you do not mind me asking, where did you learn letterpress?