Thursday, June 12, 2008

A few typographic treats

I just wanted to share some fun things I've run across recently. I'm a big fan of the lovely treatment of type (both lead & digital) and really enjoyed these sites & games...

Smashing Magazine: The Showcase of BIG Typography

These little visual snippets come from the first edition and second edition of fun typography. Links to the real thing are listed below the image (though the links for the last two wouldn't work for me).









I Love Typography: The Rather Difficult Font Game
Think you know your fonts? Give this surprisingly tough game a spin. I just barely graced the Hall of Fame on my second try, but I won't say it was a shining moment. Watch out, the game is rather addictive and definitely will give you a greater appreciation to the subtle & poetic differences of fonts created over the years. Click here to try it out for yourself.



The Extensis Community Blog: TYPEmatch
If you've given up on trying to get 34/34 on the Rather Difficult Font Game, this should give you a little mindless entertainment. This short quiz will tell which font personality you're most like and then you can set the different personalities up on dates that play out on screen.

I have mixed feelings about this quiz, as it told me I'm most like Comic Sans (is this worse than Papyrus?). I suppose the options weren't too flattering no matter what, but still! See below for a little insight into my [font] personality. Click here to play for yourself.



No comments: