Saturday, March 1, 2008

A time when it's not so bad to eat your words...

In the print shop there's definitely not much eating, especially not any of the type. Cast metal type (as opposed to wood type), whether antique or new, contains a large percentage of lead, from the mid-50s to over 80%.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean all the old cases of type I've "inherited" via E-bay in way that is sensitive to the dust that's accumulated - lead-filled & otherwise. I'll probably try to do it outside when the weather is nicer. Even if type is clean, you should make sure to wash your hands after handling it.


Anyway, my troubles aside, I wanted to share a little treat with fellow typophiles and letterpress printers. This is a German company called Typolade who makes chocolate "type" that can be assembled to spell out a
special message. I'm doubting they ship international, but I wouldn't know because I can't read German. :-(
Click here to be redirected to their website.

4 comments:

Nicole Solo said...

thank you for the tip on my blog! I'm glad to hear from someone who used a powershot. If its sunny tomorrow I'm gonna try all the tips I've recieved and blog my results :)

(Those chocolate type letters are cool)

High Desert Diva said...

Oh...those are great! Thanks for the link

tabitha said...

wow! its like heaven, because i love typography and im a chocoholic

Kunklebaby said...

What a great informative blog you have. Really nice!
I love letterpress cards, off to check out your Etsy shop :)